To use all SaltOS features to the maximum, the system that accommodates the software should comply with the following requirements:
- Web server: Apache, Cherokke o Nginx
- PHP 5,2 or higher: PHP 7 and HipHop are also supported
- Support for MariaDB, the new MySQL really free, or SQLite3:
- 2 drivers for SQLite3 using: PDO Class and SQLite3 Class
- 3 drivers for MariaDB (MySQL) using: PDO Class, mysqli_* functions and the old mysql_* functions
- Extra support for other databases:
- 2 drivers for SQLServer (MsSQL) using: PDO Class and the mssql_* funcions
- Support for GD2 from PHP (php-gd).
- Support for processed XSLT (xml php-xml).
- Support for byte multy-byte (php-mbstring)
With this, the system can work fully, but there are features that require the use of executables that are found in other packages, as:
- unoconv: to turning documents of multiple formats to PDF using OpenOffice 3,0 or superior for the online PDF viewer
- pdftotext: to convert PDF documents into plain text to be indexed in the database
- text2wave: to convert plain text into audio for the voice notification system
- lame: to convert wav to mp3 and then, reduce bandwidth used
- apertium: make translations between pairs of languages
- aspell: make text corrections
- which: to locate the required binaries
- pdftoppm: to convert PDF documents into images to be processed by tesseract.
- convert: to convert images to other popular image formats.
- tesseract: OCR software to extract text from images.
- timeout: to control the time used by the commands.